STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates for the Medical Records Technician position to work full-time supporting the healthcare delivery mission for detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
IHSC's mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of the basic principles of standard electronic medical record procedures, methods, and requirements to perform a full range of routine medical records management.
2. Knowledge of the procedures, rules, operations, sequence of steps, documentation requirements, time requirements, functions, and workflow to process electronic medical records, to review records for accuracy and completeness, and to keep track of processing deadlines.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology.
4. Ability to manage high volume of medical records daily to include intake, discharge, and requests for records from outside sources.
5. Ability to recognize information inconsistencies and take appropriate action to resolve.
6. Ability to maintain an electronic medical record system and ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies that provide governance and guidance on handling medical records in an appropriate manner.
7. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
8. Ability to work approximately 90% of time using computers, scanners, and printers and literate in their usage.
9. Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
10. Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
11. Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
12. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
13. Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
14. Knowledge of, and a high level of proficiency in common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
15. Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepares, updates, and maintains a medical record for each patient ensuring accuracy of information.
2. Maintains appointment system for patients and clinical staff where applicable.
3. Tracks compliance with scheduled patient appointments, making timely reminders notices, or calls to the clinic and IHSC staff prior to each appointment where applicable.
4. Determines coding for relevant medical record forms from appropriate references.
5. Files/scans laboratory, radiology, and other reports in appropriate sections of the electronic medical record within prescribed time period.
6. Routes clinical reports to appropriate clinic staff within prescribed time period.
7. Archives clinical information from the medical record within prescribed time period in accordance with established IHSC policy and procedures.
8. Corresponds with outside medical facilities and Contractors to request pertinent medical information to place in the medical record using appropriate and authorized ICE and IHSC forms. Tracks requests and performs follow-up ensuring receipt of information requested.
9. Reviews all documentation for completeness and routes incomplete documents to the appropriate provider for correction prior to placing/scanning in the medical records.
10. Retrieves and transports required and requested medical records to the appropriate provider throughout the medical facility using appropriate IHSC policy and procedures to maintain privacy.
11. Uses multiple mediums to process a variety of narrative and tabular material (e.g., correspondence, tabular data, reports, etc.) to prepare, update, and maintain a medical record and provide required and requested information to appropriate medical personnel.
12. Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
13. Maintains a high level of proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records.
14. Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
15. Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
16. Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
17. Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
18. Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC's Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
19. Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
20. Other duties as assigned.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
1. Strong oral and written communication skills.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills.
3. Critical thinking skills
4. Cultural competency.
5. Integrity and honesty.
6. Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
7. Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
1. High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
2. Minimum of one year experience in a healthcare setting as a medical record technician, medical record clerk, unit secretary, or similar position where the processing of electronic medical/health records was part of the daily responsibilities
1. Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
2. Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog
may be necessary to provide assistance.
3. Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
4. Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building
during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who
weighs significantly more than self).
5. Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary
(exceptions on a case by case basis).
6. Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
7. Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
8. Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical
9. Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
This is a contract position and supervisory controls will be set forth by the Contractor. Technical oversight will be provided by the Government Technical Monitor (GTM).
STG International, Inc (STGi) is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers a competitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STG International, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.